Sunday, November 1, 2009

Chicago!

I went to Chicago at the end of August right before I started at Apple and WNPR. I met my mom, aunt, and cousin there and we spent some time with my Grandma's sister and her two kids (my mom's cousins). It was one of the best trips of my life!

Since this post has taken me so long to get to, I am not going to be putting the pictures in order.

We went to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field! Even though no one in my family really like baseball except for me and the Cubs lost to the worst team in baseball, it was still super fun and worth the experience.
Mi Familia. Mom, Me, Aunt Judy, Rich, Joann, Aunt Jay and Lisa. The best part of the whole trip was being with my family. I had met Rich once, more than 10 years ago, but I had never met Joann or Aunt Jay. Aunt Jay and Grandma were always close but it was amazing to see how similar they were! It made us happy and sad at the same time. She was a crack up! Definitely had the same Italian wit as Grams. Being with the three of them was so cool because it was like we had always known each other! We had the same humor and just fit right together. It was truly an amazing experience! I love them and hope to see them again soon :)
Rich's dog, Lady. She went everywhere with us. One of the radest dogs ever.
We went to see fireworks on Navy Pier with Mike's cousins, the Barnes. Claire had heard about this very interesting show at the end of the Pier so we watched that for a bit before the real fire work show.
There was a building that had stones in it from different places all over the world. This is granite from the Salt Lake Temple.

All of us went to the Museum of Science and Industry. There was this thing that you could climb into an astronaut suit and take a picture. This is my 94 year old Aunt in the suit! Amazing. She really kept us laughing!
Little chickies at the Museum.
Looking into some sweet mirror.
I took this pic on our boat architecture tour.
Taking the L to the Cubs game.
At the Museum.
Hanging out on Michigan Ave at night.
Best Cousins :)

For the record, my grandmother dated Al Capone's brother. If we have the brother correct, he was 26 years older than Grams. Soooo scandalous hehe.
Playing at the great Bean.
The windy bus tour.
We did a tour of Wrigley the day before the game. It was so cool to go behind the scenes. And it was WAY cooler than Fenway!
We made a few trips to the cemeteries. I think Lisa and I were not looking as forward to it as our moms but we really enjoyed seeing where our great-grandparents are buried. These are my grandma's parents. They came over from Italy through Ellis Island and settled in Chicago. They died when my grandma was 5 and 9.

Mom got some night shots with her tri-pod.
Buckingham Fountain. This picture came out amazing.
Mom and Aunt Judy at their brother Danny's grave in Fort Sheridan.
Bleacher seats at Wrigley.
We also went to visit my Grandpa's parents and grandma in Racine, WI. There is not a whole lot to offer in Racine but we some and got some Kringle at our favorite Kringle store that my grandpa's brother usually send us for Christmas. We were debating to see if we were going to make it out to Racine but I'm glad we did. It was very special to see their graves.
This trip was so much fun! Thanks mom! It really got me feeling the family history bug and made me really think about my ancestors. I can't imagine all of the hard work that they went through to get me where I am today. All in all, I LOVE Chicago. It might even be my favorite city, although I have been many a times reminded that I have never experienced a winter there. Well Chicago, until next time....thanks for being awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love love love chicago too!!!! By far my favorite city, but chris reminded me of the same thing....you've never had to be there during the winter haha!

Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

Looks like a great trip! Lots of great pictures. I hope things are going well for you!! at apple and WNPR!!